Board of Directors
The Valley Opportunity Council's Board of Directors
YOU can make a difference!
The Valley Opportunity Council is overseen by a Board of Directors. It is comprised of no more than 18 members. To promote equitable representation, members come from both Holyoke and Chicopee. They are comprised the following way:
- Six of the members are appointed by the Holyoke and Chicopee Mayors, 3 from each city. They remain in office until replaced.
- Six more are appointed from private companies or organizations. Their terms are indefinite. Again, 3 from each city are selected.
- The next six members are elected by the people we serve. Their terms expire every three years.
The Board of Directors are responsible for the following:
- Appoint the Executive Director and evaluate his/her performance on a yearly basis;
- Determine major personnel, organization, fiscal, and program policies;
- Determine overall program plans and priorities, including evaluation against progress;
- Make final approval of all program proposals and budgets, including the Agency-wide budget;
- Enforces compliance with all conditions of funding source grants;
- Oversees the extent and the quality of hte participation of the poor in the programs;
- Determines, subject to funding source policies, rules and procedures for the BOD;
- Selects officers of the BOD; and
- Conducts an annual self-assessment in order to strengthen participation and productivity.
The Board of Directors meets every third Thursday of the month alternating between these two offices:
300 High Street
35 Mt. Carmel Ave
You are more than welcome to attend any of our meetings!