Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to work for the area’s leading non-profit Community Action agency? If so come join Valley Opportunity Council, whose work positively impacts the lives of local residents every day. Below are the positions currently open. Resumes, cover letters/letters of interest, and references can be mailed or dropped off to our HR Director:
Human Resource Director
35 Mt. Carmel Ave, 2nd Floor
Chicopee, MA 01013
If you would like to email your resume, please fill out the contact us form at the bottom of the page and we'll send you the email address. Thank you for your interest in joining our team!
Human Resource Coordinator
General Statement of Duties: The human resource coordinator is responsible for performing HR-related duties on a professional level and works closely with HR management in supporting all HR functional areas. This position carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: benefits administration, employee relations, onboarding, recruitment/employment, and employment law compliance. This position will also work closely with the fiscal Department & other Senior Management staff.
- Assists with monitoring employee eligibility for benefits plans, reviews benefits with employees and helps process enrollment, cancellation or changes. Assists in the organization and management of annual open enrollment communications and election process. Maintains and distributes the list of new and canceled employees under each benefit plan
- Monitors time/attendance and absenteeism reports and ensures proper documentation Works closely with Payroll to obtain reports of vacation, sick, personal day and holiday.
- Participates/Organizes administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings (monthly Board Meetings).
- Maintains human resource information system records and compiles reports from the database.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state and local employment and benefits laws and regulations.
- Provides effective and efficient customer service.
- Administer compensation and benefit plans
- Assist in talent acquisition and recruitment processes
- Assist with onboarding and help plan training & development
- Provide support to employees in various HR related topics such as leaves, compensation, etc. and resolve issues and problems
- Gather and analyze data with useful HR metrics
- Maintain employee files and records in electronic and paper form
- Other duties as assigned and deemed appropriate.
Requirements: Associates degree, experience or knowledge in an administrative capacity in Human Resource related work and/or payroll work environment, preferably in a nonprofit environment. Bilingual a plus.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter.
Customer Service Representative- LIHEAP
An immediate opening is available for a Customer Service Representative within the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and Heating Emergency Assistance Retrofit Task Weatherization Assistance Program (HEARTWAP). This is a seasonal position generally September through May.
The Customer Service Representative is responsible for answering incoming LIHEAP/HEARTWAP calls, assisting callers with their inquiries and answering general questions to applicants regarding their application status. Providing program information, booking appointments in the LIHEAP database and making referrals to other programs as needed is also a key component of the position. The Customer Service Representative will assist with the processing of mail and provide support to the office waiting room as needed.
Our ideal candidate will be positive and outgoing, hold a high school diploma or equivalent, be proficient in the use of computers, calculators, telephones and other standard office equipment. Candidates should have strong telephone, interpersonal and writing skills. MA Driver’s license, dependable transportation and ability to travel to different sites a must. Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
Interested applicants should submit a resume.
Fuel Specialist I- Intake
An immediate opening is available for a full-time Fuel Specialist I- Intake within the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and Heating Emergency Assistance Retrofit Task Weatherization Assistance Program (HEARTWAP). This may be a seasonal position only from September through May.
The Program Specialist-Intake is responsible for the intake and data entry of applications being filed for the Low Income Home Energy Program. He/she will expedite intake appointments with applicants, ensure the productive flow of scheduled appointments and ensure accurate data entry of applications and related data. Answering incoming calls to the program as well as connecting with community contacts on behalf of applicants is an important function of this position. The accurate maintenance of client-related records is essential as well as the processing of incoming and outgoing mail and documents.
Our ideal candidate will be positive and outgoing, hold at least a high school diploma or equivalent, be proficient in the use of computers, calculators, telephones and other standard office equipment. Candidates should have strong telephone, interpersonal, organizational and writing skills. MA Driver’s license, dependable transportation and ability to travel to different sites a must. Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
Interested applications should submit a resume.
Center Directors, for progressive Early Education & Child Care programs in Chicopee. Duties include staff supervision and development, curriculum development, and parent involvement. Great opportunity to grow with a well-respected community action agency. Position requires Bachelor’s Degree, EEC Director certification, strong communication, and supervisory skills, familiarity with QRIS and NAEYC accreditation. Great benefits, salary commensurate with experience.
For more information or to apply, submit a letter of interest and resume.
Teacher-Director for progressive Early Education & Child Care program in Holyoke. Duties include staff supervision and development, curriculum development, and parent involvement. Great opportunity to grow with a well-respected community action agency. Great benefits, salary commensurate with experience
General Description Responsible for the daily operation of the Early Education & Child Care Center with Enrollment less than forty (40). Functions as the lead member of the teaching staff, assuming classroom duties. Develop, implement and monitor the educational curriculum of the Child Care Program designed to meet the cognitive, social, emotional, and health needs of each child at the Center, as required by Agency policies and EEC regulations and policies.
Position requires Bachelor’s Degree, EEC Director Certification, strong communication, and supervisory skills, familiarity with QRIS and NAEYC accreditation.
Interested applicants should submit their resume and cover letter.
Excellent opportunity for a qualified Center Lead Teacher! The Valley Opportunity Council is seeking Center Lead Teachers for high quality, infant, toddler and preschool classrooms located in the Chicopee and Holyoke area. This a great opportunity to work for a well-respected nonprofit agency. Applicants must have EEC certification. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
- Work cooperatively with Supervisors in teaching, program planning and general operation of the classroom.
- Provide training and leadership to staff in cooperation with the Center Director.
- Assume responsibilities for daily operations of the center in the Director’s absence.
- Must have EEC Lead Teacher certification
- At least 9 months’ experience in a licensed child care setting with age appropriate children
- Ability to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations, where possible, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks
Infant, Toddler & Preschool Teacher:
Excellent opportunity for a qualified Preschool & Infant-Toddler Teachers! The Valley Opportunity Council is seeking Teachers for high quality, infant, toddler and preschool classrooms located in the Chicopee and Holyoke area. This a great opportunity to work for a well-respected nonprofit agency. Applicants must have EEC certification. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
General Description: Works cooperatively with Center Director and Lead Teacher in teaching, program planning and general operations of Center. Assures care and protection of children at the center at all times.
Specific Essential Duties:
- Supervise children in classroom learning activities, both in groups and on an individual basis, including planning and implementing of program curriculum
- Report on child’s progress to supervisor and parents, maintain daily log notes, document children’s progress throughout the year as required by EEC or as needed for services
- Contribute to and follow through on recommendations of social service and educational staff and consultants
- Supervise children at all times
- Assist other Center staff when supervisor is absent
- Responsible for care and use of educational equipment and toys during the school day
- Attend all workshops and/or training sessions as required by EEC, Center Director, or Program
- Participate as a team member in the general operation of the classroom, including cleaning and maintaining the classroom and child care environment to meet EEC and program requirements
- Assist as needed in the food program, including food preparation
- Provide well rounded, daily lesson plans to enhance the program curriculum
- Assist children who receive VOC transportation services to and from the van
- Provide documentation of successful completion of First Aid and CPR and bi-annual physical, as required by EEC regulations and VOC policies
- Where applicable, utilize bi-lingual ability in dealing with bilingual children, parents, etc.,
- Assist in translating bi-lingual materials as needed
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Must have EEC Teacher Certificate
- At least nine months experience in a licensed child care setting with age appropriate children
- Ability to lift children (up to 60 ) and classroom equipment (such as dividers, playthings) in an appropriate manner as needed
- Ability to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations, where possible, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks