Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to work for the area’s leading non-profit Community Action agency? If so come join Valley Opportunity Council, whose work positively impacts the lives of local residents every day. Below are the positions currently open. Resumes, cover letters/letters of interest, and references can be mailed or dropped off to our HR Director:
Human Resource Director
35 Mt. Carmel Ave, 2nd Floor
Chicopee, MA 01013
If you would like to email your resume, please fill out the contact us form at the bottom of the page and we'll send you the email address. Thank you for your interest in joining our team!
Early childhood assistant director/center lead teacher
Are you interested in growing your career in the field of early education and care? Do you love teaching but also love the administrative aspects of running an early childhood program? Then we have the career for you! The Valley Opportunity Council’s Early Education department is hiring for a Center Lead Teacher (otherwise known as an Assistant Director).
The Center lead Teacher is responsible for running a high-quality early childhood classroom that promotes the academic and social-emotional development of young children. In addition, the Center Lead Teacher will work cooperatively with the Center Director on teaching, program planning, and general operations of the center, provide training and leadership to staff in cooperation with the Center Director and assume responsibilities for the daily operations of the center in the Director’s absence.
This is a great opportunity for career advancement and the stepping-stones to a future Director position in one of our eight child care centers! Join our team and receive a $500 sign-on bonus! We offer $19.00 an hour, great benefits, opportunities for advancement, and a wonderful work environment. The Center Lead Teacher must have a bachelor’s degree and EEC lead teacher and Director 1 or 2 certification. For more information or to apply
Director of Senior Companion Program
Would you like to make a difference in the quality of someone’s life? Are you friendly, compassionate, and kind? We are looking for YOU! The Senior Companion Program(SCP) matches volunteers age 55 or over with lonely or socially isolated older adults who need companionship and assistance to remain independent and at home. We are looking for a full-time Director for our program.
The Director oversees and manages the SCP programs for the Agency. Provides direction and leadership in such a way as to nurture, create, and maintain an environment that is (1) free from discrimination, intolerance and harassment and (2) provide employees with equal access to opportunities for growth and advancement including professional development whenever possible.
First 12 months 2 weeks employees accrue 2 weeks of vacation
After 13 months, you begin to accrue 3 weeks of vacation
1 hour paid lunch break
12 Paid Holidays
Other benefits medical Insurance, In lieu of medical insurance, VOC will provide the lowest cost contributed by the agency towards childcare reimbursement or other benefit products such as AFLAC products & Guardian Life insurance.
Retirement plan available through Mutual of America, VOC will contribute 2% of your gross pay. If the employee wishes to contribute through employee deductions, he/she may contribute a minimum of 2% of their pay and the agency will add another 1%. Employees are also eligible to start the plan and contribute through payroll deductions after 30 days on the job.
- Proven administrative and management skills
- Experience in working with older persons and volunteers
- A background in community development and/or health and social service delivery programs
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Bachelors Degree
The Billing Specialist is responsible for the overall collection and record-keeping of all early education and care child care fees.
Essential Duties Include:
- Collecting and Recording all child care fees for contracts, vouchers and private pay
- Issue bills, receipts, and invoices
- Receive and record payments and compile account statements
- Input accounting information into Procare
- Post payable bills and adjustments into Procare
- Keep adequate and updated records on fee adjustments , family ledgers and deposits
- Monitor payments due from clients and promptly contact clients with past due payments
- Ensure all clients remain informed on their outstanding debts and deadlines
- Work with clients who have overdue balances and create payment plans
- Compose and distribute termination letters for non-payment
General Requirements Experience working in office setting, computer skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, excellent organizational skills, ability to multitask, detail oriented. 1-2 years relevant experience, High School diploma.
7D Drivers needed to support a busy transportation department. Drivers transport children enrolled in early education programs. Candidates must have a clean driving record and submit to a drug test and background record check. Full time
Specific Essential Duties:
- Abide by all Registry of Motor Vehicles regulations
- Maintain professional two-way radio communication
- Accept children and secure them properly in accordance with the law in their seats
- Follow assigned schedule
- Record all required information
- Perform vehicle circle check
- Report any vehicle malfunctions immediately in writing
- Immediately report and situation which delays the schedule
- Other duties as assigned
- HS diploma or GED
- Seven years of clean driving record
- 7D License required
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Knowledge of all Registry of Motor Vehicles regulations
- Ability to acquire all required para-transit skills and training required
- Ability to lift children and their car seats, where applicable, up to 50 lbs
- Ability to bend and stretch for extended periods of time
- Must submit to CORI/SORI/DCF Background Checks and a Fingerprint Scan in accordance with EEC regulations (606 CMR 14.00)
- Ability to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations, where possible, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks
For more information, please call 592-4611. AA/EOE
GEAR UP Advisor
Would you like to help create an educational culture that is equitable for all students? Is a supportive work culture important to you? Would you like more flexibility in your workday?
Valley Opportunity Council is excited to announce a full-time job opportunity with flexible hours as an Educational Advisor for GEAR UP, a college and career readiness program operating in cooperation with Springfield and Holyoke public schools. Applicant should have experience working with middle and/or high school students and knowledge of concerns impacting students including poverty and identity-based discrimination. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: developing and facilitating interactive activities (including college and other field trips) to promote college and career awareness including the college admissions process and hosting workshops on skills such as time management, financial literacy, and goal setting, as well as mandatory and timely record keeping and documentation. Knowledge of financial aid processes including FAFSA is strongly preferred.
The ideal candidate for this position will:
- Have excellent written and verbal skills.
- Be able to work independently but enjoy being part of a friendly and diverse team.
- Be passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of young people and proactive about supporting students in developing identity, setting and achieving goals, and learning life skills.
- Be committed to action towards social justice and/or youth advocacy.
- Be compassionate, flexible, and enthusiastic!
Starting salary is $17.50/hour, and position benefits include but are not limited to paid vacation and sick time, one hour paid lunch/day, 12 holidays off per year, and opt-in health and dental insurance plans.
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree, proficiency in computer use (Microsoft Office Suite), and a valid driver’s license with own transportation required. Bilingual (Spanish) preferred but not required.!
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information of 3 references.
APPLICATIONS WITHOUT COVER LETTERS WILL NOT BE REVIEWED
Teacher-Director for progressive Early Education & Child Care program in Holyoke/Chicopee. Duties include staff supervision and development, curriculum development, and parent involvement. Great opportunity to grow with a well-respected community action agency. Great benefits, salary commensurate with experience
General Description Responsible for daily operation of the Early Education & Child Care Center with Enrollment less than forty (40). Functions as lead member of the teaching staff, assuming classroom duties. Develop, implement and monitor the educational curriculum of the Child Care Program designed to meet the cognitive, social, emotional, and health needs of each child at the Center, as required by Agency policies and EEC regulations and policies.
- Teach 50% of the day and assume administrative responsibilities the other 50% of the day.
- Responsible for curriculum development and implementation as well as regular progress reports.
- Assure compliance with EEC, Health, Building and Fire requirements in all areas.
· Pursue and maintain NAEYC accreditation
- Foster the integration and use of the MA QRIS standards
- Assist enrollment office in acquiring paperwork for client financial assistance.
- Assist in parent fee collection, as outlined by Fiscal Department.
- Plan and arrange for the acquisition and optimum use of all necessary teaching and educational materials via Purchase Requisition process.
- Supervise all classroom staff members
- Meet with individual staff members on a monthly basis.
- Conduct annual performance appraisals of each Center staff member including goal setting. Monitor progress in goal achievement on a regular basis.
- Encourage staff development, including attendance at workshops and participation in college courses leading to a college degree.
- Organize parent meetings and conferences, as necessary.
- Organize and lead monthly Center staff meetings.
- Attend biweekly departmental staff meetings.
- Maintain all areas of the Center in an attractive, sanitary and orderly fashion.
- Conduct child intakes/family intakes.
- Completion of grants and proposals upon request.
- Represent child care programs at community meetings when requested.
- Oversee annual inventory of classrooms and office equipment in the child care center.
- Assist in planning and development of center-based expansion projects
- Work with EEC, families, early intervention programs, and public schools to access services for students with special needs.
- Participate in meetings regarding students with special needs or families in need of social services, when requested.
- Provide liaison service between families, service professionals, and community services.
- Participate in hiring teaching staff, in conjunction with the Lead Center Director
- Coordinate flow of paperwork from the Center to the Main Office.
- Communicate regularly with supervisor and/or administrative staff.
- Ensure general cleanliness of the Center.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Position requires Bachelor’s Degree, EEC Director Certification, strong communication and supervisory skills, familiarity with QRIS and NAEYC accreditation.
RESIDENT SERVICE COORDINATOR
The Resident Service Coordinator (RSC) is responsible for initial and ongoing assessment of needs, to support residents with a connection to key information and supports that will ultimately enhance the ability of residents to uphold their lease obligations and to remain stable. The RSC will be responsible for promoting local support programs and efforts that enhance a resident’s quality of life and help build healthy communities. The RSC ensures the provision of program support and/or intervention for individuals and families through the coordination of community resources.
Requirements: High School Diploma, Spanish Speaking preferred.
Group Leader for School Age Program
Full Time To supervise children in our Early Education Centers in program activities, as well as plan and implement program activities. Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree with three months experience working with school-aged children OR High School Diploma and six months experience working with school-aged children.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter. AA/EOE
Site Coordinator for School Age Program
Are you interested in growing your career in the field of early education and care? Do you love teaching but also love the administrative aspects of running a school-age classroom? Then we have the career for you! The Valley Opportunity Council’s Early Education department is hiring for a Site Coordinator for our School-Age classroom.
The Site Coordinator is responsible for:
- Running a high-quality after-school classroom and summer program that promotes the academic and social-emotional development of young children.
- The Site Coordinator will plan and implement school-age program activities, create weekly lesson plans, conduct intakes for children to be enrolled in the program, maintain files and other records, participate as a team member in the general operation of the classroom and interact with children on a daily basis
The Site Coordinator must be EEC School Age certified with a BA degree or enrolled in BA program.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $18.00 per hour
Common surfaces are sanitized regularly, wearing a mask.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter. AA/EOE
Direct Care Staff
Immediate openings are available for Direct Care Staff at our homeless shelter. Full-time shifts. 3:00pm-11:00pm and 11:00pm-7:00 am.
- Conduct intakes interviews
- Assess immediate medical/ Psychiatric emergency needs/provide referrals
- Case Management
- Maintain records of all activities
- Data Entry
- Provide on call back up
- Ensure All shelter rules and regulations are followed/other duties assigned by Supervisor
- High School Diploma
- 1 – 2 Years of relevant experience Ability to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations, where possible, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest and resume.